Saturday 2 September 2017

Doctoral Research exploring gay men's experiences of difficulties in the relationship with their therapist/counsellor.

Participants wanted - research project exploring gay men’s experiences of difficulties in the relationship with their therapist/counsellor

Are you a gay man over 18? 
Have you been in counselling or psychotherapy that lasted more than 20 sessions?
Would you be willing to share your experiences of therapy with me as part of my Doctoral research? In particular, I want to hear about your experiences of any of the following:

  • Difficulties, tensions or misunderstandings in the relationship with your therapist
  • Negative feelings towards your therapist
  • Any barriers or issues you felt you couldn't talk about that negatively affected the quality of the relationship
  • Any breakdowns in the relationship with your therapist
  • Ending therapy abruptly or feeling dissatisfied

My name is Phil Brooke and this research project forms part of my studies towards a Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology at London Metropolitan University. My study will look at how gay men have experienced ruptures (difficulties or tensions) in the relationship with their therapist - these difficulties could have been subtle which you kept to yourself, or more obvious ones that were discussed with your therapist. I’m hoping this research will offer a deeper understanding of negative therapy experiences for gay men so that therapists are better informed about these sensitive issues.

You taking part in my research would mean having a conversation with me for about an hour where I would ask you to share your experiences with me. Your confidentiality will be protected at all times. This research project has been given ethical approval by London Metropolitan University.

If you are interested in taking part, or would like to know more about the study, then please contact me at prb0069@my.londonmet.ac.uk or on 07593 544289(work contact number) and leave your name and contact details. I will aim to get back to you as soon as possible. 


Thank you for taking time to read this information.

No comments:

Post a Comment